Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2948 times)

Lynda Dalton

« on: 18 June, 2010, 09:12 »
Being new I would like some idea as to how this site works so far I have found the instructions very difficult to follow and will probably give up does anyone have any pointers on how to proceed as I really would like to glean some more information on my husbands family Please help ???

Karen Dalton Preston

• Administrator
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2010, 13:41 »
Hi Lynda,

The Dalton Forum is a public message board provided by the Dalton Genealogical Society; you do not have to be a member of the Society to use this message board.  The postings to the site are a way to post your questions on Dalton family research to a public forum, with the idea that this may help you connect with someone researching the same Dalton family line, or with a researcher who may be able to point you towards resources to help further your research.

To get help with your Dalton research, it is most useful to post some info about the family line, such as name of the Dalton, approximate date of birth, name of a spouse or children, and a geographic location.  This helps others know whether or not they can help you.  Then, it is helpful to ask a specific question, or to list the problem you are trying to solve.  

The Dalton Genealogical Society's web sites provide a lot of great resources to help with your research.  Try the following links:
Dalton Genealogical Society's main web site:
     http://www.daltongensoc.com/
 -- the site hosts the DGS monthly newsletter, "Daltons in History", with helpful articles on Daltons.  All of he past issues are archived on the site, and are searchable.

Dalton Data Bank:
     http://www.daltondatabank.org/
 -- the Dalton Data Bank has info over 300,000 records on Daltons world-wide.  There is information on vital records, the US and UK census, wills and land records.  This information was transcribed and contributed to the site by DGS members.  It is also fully searchable.

I hope this will be helpful!
-- Karen Dalton Preston
North American Secretary