Author Topic: Daltons in Athea Co Limerick  (Read 4915 times)

chelsea

Daltons in Athea Co Limerick
« on: 24 July, 2010, 11:22 »
Hi, I am researching my WHITE family in Athea / Glenagower.  They seem to have been very interlinked with the Daltons and I think there must have been a marriage somewhere previously.  The Whites and Daltons seem to have been in the area a long time and there are several families still there.  Unfortunately, I cannot find the right person to help.

I am attaching some baptisms taken from the Athea Parish Registers - you will see the Dalton name appearing several times as sponsors.
If anybody can provide any help I would greatly appreciate it.

The following are taken from the baptism records in Athea.

Name                           Date                 Parents                                                                  Sponsors

Bridget                          20.08.1903          Thomas White and Maria                                        Mary Hunt (child ill at birth)

Thomas                         02.09.1904          Thomas White and Mary (Hunt)                               Margaret Hunt (child very ill at birth – went to America

Mary                             08.11.1905          Thomas White and Mary (Hunt) Upper Athea            Married Curtis Joseph Dash at Church of St Vincent

Buffalo US 4 April 1932.  I have four cousins there.

Bridget                          03.05.1908          Thomas White and Mary (Hunt) Upper Athea            Pat Stack and Bridget Hunt

Catherine                      15.09.1910          Thomas White and Mary (Hunt) Upper Athea            Catherine Dalton (Drumadoa)

James (my father)        23.06.1913          Thomas White and Mary (Hunt) Upper Athea            Thomas White and Mary Stack

John                             08.07.1916          Thomas White and Mary (Hunt) Upper Athea            Patrick Dalton and Joanna Dalton

Margaret Christina          22.12.1920          Thomas White and Mary (Hunt) Upper Athea            James Moran and Helen Moran Christina died died 24 December 1940

Richard                         25.01.1865          Thomas White and Bridget Temple Athea                 Desmond Aherne and Margaret White

Johanna                        08.01.1868          Thomas White and Bridget White Glenagore             Thomas White and Mary White

Thomas (grandfather)  22.12.1869          Thomas White and Bridget White Glenagore             Edmund Dalton and Johanna Dalton

Bridget                          17.03.1872          Thomas White and Bridget White Glenagore             Thomas White and Margaret White

John                             23.06.1877          Thomas White and Bridget White Gortnagross          Richard White and Mary White

Karen Dalton Preston

• Administrator
Re: Daltons in Athea Co Limerick
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2010, 12:45 »
Hi Chelsea,

I think I found the connection you are looking for in the records on the Dalton Data Bank.  The Dalton Data Bank is a web site maintained by the Dalton Genealogical Society with over 300,000 records on Daltons worldwide.  This link will take you directly to the Limerick page:  http://www.daltondatabank.org/limerick.htm

I found the following info for you on the Dalton Data Bank web page for County Limerick.  As you see, there is a strong connection between the Daltons and the Whites in Limerick:
Marriages:
   13 Feb 1833 Johann Dalton married Patrick White, Athea RC (Roman Catholic Church)
   12 Feb 1882 Michael Dalton, farmer, 27, son of Michael Dalton, farmer, married Honoria White, 23, dau of Michael White, at Cool, Athea, Newcastle RD

Baptisms:
   10 Mar 1864 - Johanna Dalton, dau of Michael Dalton & Catherine White; Glengowen, Rathronan, Newcastle RD
   14 Jul 1865 - Ellen Dalton, dau of Michael Dalton & Catherine White; Newcastle RD
   1 Apr 1866 - Catherine Dalton, dau of "James" Dalton & Catherine White; Dromada, Rathronan, Newcastle RD
   10 Feb 1867 - Honora Dalton, dau of Michael Dalton & Catherine White; Glengowen, Rathronan, Newcastle RD
   20 Nov 1868 - Bridget Dalton, dau of Michael Dalton & Catherine White; Ardagh, Newcastle RD
   16 Jun 1870 - Catherine Dalton, dau of Michael Dalton & Catherine White; Glengowen, Rathronan, Newcastle RD
   25 May 1872 - John Dalton, son of Michael Dalton & Catherine White; Ardagh, Newcastle RD
   13 Feb 1874 - Daniel Dalton, son of Michael Dalton & Catherine White; Ardagh, Newcastle RD

22 Dec 1882 - James Dalton, of Michael Dalton, farmer & Nans White; Coole West, Newcastle RD
   4 Jun 1886 - John Dalton, son of Michael Dalton, farmer & Nans White; Cool, Newcastle RD
   25 Aug 1888 - Edmund Dalton, son of Michael Dalton, farmer & Nans White; Coole, Newcastle RD
   18 Apr 1890 - Thomas, son of "James" Dalton, farmer & Nans White; Athea, Newcastle RD
-- Note: I think that the "Nans" listed as the mother in the baptisms above must be the Honoria White in the marriage of 1882.

I hope this will be helpful!
--Karen

chelsea

« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2010, 13:41 »
Thank you Karen.  I will try to sort out how it all works  :)

Tina

chelsea

« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2010, 14:14 »
Just been looking through the databank - there is sooooooo much information.  Interesting also there is an Ellen Hunt daughter of Cornelius Hund who married James Dalton!!  I have Cornelius Hunt so there could be a connection there also.