Author Topic: Thomas Dalton of Kilclare  (Read 6549 times)

jimw1

Thomas Dalton of Kilclare
« on: 25 July, 2010, 10:25 »
Two years ago a Cousin of my Father obtained records (From Church records I believe) of my Fathers family.
And the first entry was the Marriage of  Thomas Dalton of Kilclare' County Offaly Ireland to
Anne O'Hara of Aghamore at Tullamore RD County Offaly Ireland.
(These are my Great Great Grandparents)

I have searched through the county Offaly records on the Dalton Data bank and sure enough the records match Exactly............

I have also looked at the deaths on that page http://www.daltondatabank.org/offaly.htm
And there is an Entry of Death for Anne Dalton

22 Jan. 1883: Anne Dalton at Aughamore, Tullamore RD; age 34, farmer's wife

Could anyone tell me if the Records of death would name Anne O'Hara as Anne Dalton as this was her Married name ?

I presume the Married name would be Used as it is a Dalton name data base ?......

Hope I haven't confused you.... :)

Many Thanks in Advance........

Jim 

Karen Dalton Preston

• Administrator
Re: Thomas Dalton of Kilclare
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2010, 13:13 »
Hi Jim,

Yes, a woman would be listed under her married name when she died.  Since the record says she died at age 34 in 1883, that give a birth year abt. 1849.  Looking at the marriage date of 1865, that would mean she was 16 at the time of the marriage to Thomas Dalton, which is plausible.  So this is *probably* the right person.

The County Offaly vital records in the Dalton Data Bank were transcribed from an earlier transcription of Civil Registration records.  The original transcription is available on microfilm from the Family History Library (Film #381843). The actual record may have more information; the entry in the actual death record usually gives the name of the husband also. 

The Irish Civil Registrations indexes are now on-line at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=fs%3A1408347&p=collectionDetails .  Once you locate the death record for Ann in the index, it will give you all the info required to order a copy of the actual certificate (the calendar quarter of the event, volume number and page number for the record) .  You can find info on how to order the certificate at:
http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2010/07/ordering-irish-civil-registration-certificates-online.html

I hope this is helpful!
--Karen

jimw1

« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2010, 03:19 »
Hi Jim,

Yes, a woman would be listed under her married name when she died.  Since the record says she died at age 34 in 1883, that give a birth year abt. 1849.  Looking at the marriage date of 1865, that would mean she was 16 at the time of the marriage to Thomas Dalton, which is plausible.  So this is *probably* the right person.

The County Offaly vital records in the Dalton Data Bank were transcribed from an earlier transcription of Civil Registration records.  The original transcription is available on microfilm from the Family History Library (Film #381843). The actual record may have more information; the entry in the actual death record usually gives the name of the husband also. 

The Irish Civil Registrations indexes are now on-line at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=fs%3A1408347&p=collectionDetails .  Once you locate the death record for Ann in the index, it will give you all the info required to order a copy of the actual certificate (the calendar quarter of the event, volume number and page number for the record) .  You can find info on how to order the certificate at:
http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2010/07/ordering-irish-civil-registration-certificates-online.html

I hope this is helpful!
--Karen

Many thanks Karen.....youve been More than helpful' I  will check out the Links.......

Thanks again......
Jim  :)

jimw1

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2010, 05:43 »
Hi Karen....sorry to bother you with this again' but looking at the records'in the Family search there seems to be 2 Identical Entries for Ann Dalton
(Death 1883)

I just wondered why this would be the case......If you could throw some light on this I would very much appreciate it...
perhaps its just a transcription error ?

Best regards
and thank you once again......

Jim

Karen Dalton Preston

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2010, 15:13 »
My guess is that the duplicate records are the result of multiple volunteers doing the transcribing.  Occasionally, 2 transcriptions of the same data get incorporated into the database. 

However, it is also possible that the original death certificate was amended or corrected shortly after the initial filing.  Since the General Record Office (GRO) indexes the info by calendar quarter and Volume and Page of the Index books, it would be possible for 2 certificates to have the same index info.

--Karen

jimw1

« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2010, 15:49 »
Thanks for the Reply Karen'
I understand what you say about multiple volunteers entering the same data' and as its a Mammoth task Im sure it can be easily done. And its a credit to them that it seems to be a rare Occurrence

I was Just wondering if there was a Some other significance with two Entries other than a Duplicate update or Amendment.

I am in the Process of applying for the Death certificate since following the links you posted.

you have been most helpful' I will post again if i find more Information about Anne Dalton....

Many thanks

Jim

mjdalton

« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2011, 20:25 »

My Grandfather, Patrick, appears to be the son of Thomas Dalton and Anne O' Hara.  I am unsure if her name might be entered in the records as Ann and Anne.  I did find data in family records that match as brothers and sisters but cannot verify the possible brother.  I do have some correspondence from family in Ireland that indicates Anne Dalton immigrated to the UK.  I would love to find out more about my great grandparents family.

Marriage      3 Sept. 1865: Thomas Dalton of Kilclare of John Dalton to Anne O'Hara of Patrick  O'Hara, farmer of Aghamore at Tullamore RD.

Grandfather   12 May 1870: Patrick Dalton at Aghamore, Tullamore RD to Thomas Dalton, farm labourer and Ann O'Hara.

Possible Brother   7 July 1866: John Dalton at Aghamore Town, Tullamore RD* to Thomas Dalton and Ann O'Hara.

His sister      15 Mar. 1868: Anne Dalton at Aghamore, Tullamore RD to Thomas Dalton, farm labourer and Ann O'Hara.

His sister      28 May 1882: Rose Anne Dalton at Aughamore, Tullamore Rd to Thomas Dalton, farmer and Anne O'Hara.?

His brother   22 Sept. 1873: Michael Dalton at Aghamore, Tullamore RD to Thomas Dalton, factory hand and Anne O'Hara.

His sister      20 Sept. 1876: Margaret Dalton at Aghamore, Tullamore RD to Thomas Dalton, factory hand and Anne O'Hara.      
   Married a fellow named Phalen, , had a son named Pat and Pat married Kitty               

Mike Dalton

jimw1

« Reply #7 on: 26 July, 2011, 04:17 »
thanks for posting the Information Mike.....I have sent you an email.

There is also a Mary Dalton

25 Apr. 1879:   Mary Dalton at Aghamore, Tullamore RD to Thomas Dalton, factory hand and Anne O'Hara.

Jim