Author Topic: Dalton International DNA Project (DIDP)  (Read 6194 times)

MND

Dalton International DNA Project (DIDP)
« on: 09 November, 2008, 10:19 »
During the past few weeks we have had 12 new participants join DIDP.  The time from first registering with Family Tree DNA through to receiving results is several weeks - FTDNA have to send out a kit, the individual has to take the DNA sample and return it to FTDNA, who then send it to the laboratory for processing, the laboratory returns the results and FTDNA enters them on their database at which point they become available to the testee and to myself as the project coordinator.  Not until then can we see whether there are any matches with other project participants.

This latest batch of registrations started back in August and the first results are just beginning to come through - the first two have now been posted.  We expect the remainder to be posted during the next 6 to 8 weeks.  Hopefully we will have them all by the end of the year.  It is always exciting when new results are posted - one of the two just just posted is a member of genetic family D, the other is a singleton.  As we get each result, I will contact the new participant to inform them of how they fit in to our overall project.  Then, early in 2009, we will be publishing Issue 3 of the DIDP Progress Report, prepared for us by our DNA Consultant, Chris Pomery.  This will provide a comprehensive analysis of the test results of all participants to date, numbering 125 or more.

In the meantime, we will keep you updated through the monthly "Daltons in History" web newsletter at www.daltongensoc.com.  If you have any questions, or if you would like to join the project, please contact me through this forum or by email to michaelndalton@aol.com.  I will look forward to hearing from you.

Michael Neale Dalton
Chairman of the Dalton Genealogical Society
     & Coordinator of the Dalton International DNA Project

Karen Dalton Preston

• Administrator
Re: Dalton International DNA Project (DIDP)
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2008, 12:52 »
Genetic Family Group D in the Dalton International DNA Project is pleased to welcome Robert Dalton of Mitchelstown, Co. Cork.  Robert and DGS member Cathy Negrycz have traced this Dalton line back to Ballylanders, County Limerick.

lynned45

« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2014, 09:13 »
I would be delighted to join the project. I read that you need a male relative to determine which family. I am a daughter of a Dalton, would any of my sons work??

Karen Dalton Preston

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2014, 09:37 »
Thank you for your interest in the DNA Project and for posting your question.

For the project, we need to test a male relative who bears the Dalton surname since the Y-DNA we compare is passed with few changes from father to son.  Your sons would not be good candidates for testing.  Their test results would provide information on your husband's ancestry.

If your father is still living, he would be a perfect candidate for testing.  Other options would include a brother, your father's brothers, or a male Dalton cousin.  The important thing is that we test a male Dalton relative who has the Dalton surname.

If you have more questions, I'll be happy to help.

--Karen

Peter Dalton

« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2014, 14:43 »
Greetings. 

I inquired before about the DNA project, but I did not follow up. 

1.  I recently did the DNA test via ancestry.com.  Is there a way to have my ancestry.com results included in this project?

2. I did share my results with GEDmatch.com which allows users of different platforms to share and compare.  If anyone has also done this, I am interested in sharing kit numbers. 

Thank you. 

Peter Dalton

I believe my earliest known Dalton is my GG-grandfather Michael.  He was an Irish-born marblecutter aged 24 in Brooklyn, NY according to the 1850 US Census. 

Karen Dalton Preston

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2014, 16:39 »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting your question, since I think there are others who may want to transfer DNA test results from other testing services. 

Yes, you can transfer your test results to Family Tree DNA, the service that hosts our surname project.  There is a $19.00 fee to transfer Y-DNA 33 or 46 results.  This link will take you to the FTDNA site section on transferring test results:  https://www.familytreedna.com/landing/ydna-transfer.aspx

The fee will provide you with a personal page at FTDNA, and will allow our project administrators and our genetic genealogy consultant to view your results, and compare them to others in the project.

If you need more info, or have questions, please just me know.
--Karen

Peter Dalton

« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2014, 08:56 »
Thank you Karen.

My Ancestry.com is an autosomal test.  This is the only testing that Ancestry.com currently offers. 

It appears that the cost to transfer the Autosomal data to ftDNA is $69. 

Do you know if an autosomal test transferred to ftDNA is then comparable to the those currently part of your project? 

Karen Dalton Preston

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 09 September, 2014, 15:35 »
The Dalton DNA project just compares Y-DNA test results. 

In any surname project, comparing Y (or male) DNA allows us to look at the relatively small changes (mutations) that occur over long periods of time when Y-DNA is passed from father to son, along the family surname.

Autosomal DNA shows the combined contributions of the father and mother, and is more helpful when looking for more immediate family connections.  It will show connections from all branches of your family tree back to 4th or 5th cousins.  The Y-DNA test and the autosomal test look at very different sections of DNA, so, like the cliche, it's like apples and oranges.

--Karen