General Category > General Information

Dalton International DNA Project (DIDP)

<< < (2/2)

Karen Dalton Preston:
Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting your question, since I think there are others who may want to transfer DNA test results from other testing services. 

Yes, you can transfer your test results to Family Tree DNA, the service that hosts our surname project.  There is a $19.00 fee to transfer Y-DNA 33 or 46 results.  This link will take you to the FTDNA site section on transferring test results:  https://www.familytreedna.com/landing/ydna-transfer.aspx

The fee will provide you with a personal page at FTDNA, and will allow our project administrators and our genetic genealogy consultant to view your results, and compare them to others in the project.

If you need more info, or have questions, please just me know.
--Karen

Peter Dalton:
Thank you Karen.

My Ancestry.com is an autosomal test.  This is the only testing that Ancestry.com currently offers. 

It appears that the cost to transfer the Autosomal data to ftDNA is $69. 

Do you know if an autosomal test transferred to ftDNA is then comparable to the those currently part of your project? 

Karen Dalton Preston:
The Dalton DNA project just compares Y-DNA test results. 

In any surname project, comparing Y (or male) DNA allows us to look at the relatively small changes (mutations) that occur over long periods of time when Y-DNA is passed from father to son, along the family surname.

Autosomal DNA shows the combined contributions of the father and mother, and is more helpful when looking for more immediate family connections.  It will show connections from all branches of your family tree back to 4th or 5th cousins.  The Y-DNA test and the autosomal test look at very different sections of DNA, so, like the cliche, it's like apples and oranges.

--Karen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version