Author Topic: Daltons in India  (Read 2967 times)

Doria

• Descended from Daltons of Madras, India
Daltons in India
« on: 08 October, 2011, 10:12 »
My great grandfather was born in Madras in 1878, his brother 1877.  His parents were Duncan Mearns Cruickshank ( Principal of the college in Madras, born in Aberdeen) and wife, JOANNA AMELIA DALTON.  Sadly, Joanna died when John was born, before she reached the age of 20.  Her parents were THOMAS DALTON and Amelia Lursell, who were married in Madras, and as far as I can find, both were born in Madras. 

Apart from Joanna, there were 3 other children including Charles and Vitalis Dalton.  Thomas is shown as a corporal in the 105th Regiment at the time of Charles' birth in 1861.

I can find Daltons in Madras for several generations, even though I cannot definitely tie them to my ancestors.  I would be glad to hear from anyone who can point me at a source of information on Daltons in India, and where they came from.

« Last Edit: 06 December, 2011, 12:09 by Doria »

Angus

Re: Daltons in India
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2011, 19:00 »
Hi Doria, well dont know an awful lot about Daltons in India but I am curious to know more. My Father, Thomas John Anthony was born in 1937 out in Madras as was his brother Ralph Reginald (1935ish). Their father Frederick was also born out there as was his father. The maternal side is rather vague, they never knew their mother and were both were at boarding school. Family I understand were involved in manging coffee plantations although Frederick was an architect and worked in middle east. 

Maybe you have some leads from this that could piece together?

Angus

susanadams

Re: Daltons in India
« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2012, 06:42 »
Dear Angus

I have just joined the Dalton forum website and could not believe it when I saw your posting.  My grandmother Florence Dalton was born in India and her father was Thomas Lawrence Dalton.  She had 2 sisters and 1 brother by him but he was not married to their mother. He later married a Hilda Caroline Pickering and had 5 legitable children by her.  One of Thomas and Hilda's sons was Fredrick James Dalton born 1909 and I believe he had boys by the names of Ralph born 1935 and Thomas born 1933.  They travelled back to England with their aunt, Fredricks sister Lily Marguerita Dalton on 4th January 1908.

I would love to hear from you or anyone else who knows about Thomas Lawrence Dalton who originated from South Wales Daltons (Thomas Masters Dalton was his father) and led a very colourful life in India.
Please contact me as we are definitely related!!
Sue