Author Topic: James Dalton, Fustian Cutter, Manchester c.1780-1830  (Read 2092 times)

edrowbot

James Dalton, Fustian Cutter, Manchester c.1780-1830
« on: 17 December, 2013, 10:40 »
My GG Grandfather John Dalton was born in 1802 (possibly in Ireland, possibly Manchester) and was married at Manchester Old Church (Cathedral) in 1824 to Maria Collier.  He lived most of his life in Manchester and brought his family up in Collyhurst, Ardwick, and Newton Heath.  He worked first as a fustian cutter, then as a commercial traveller for a fustian warehouse.  He had six children by Maria, all of whom survived into adulthood and married.  John married a second time to Elizabeth Jeffs, (a widow) in 1871, when he gave his father’s name as James Dalton – a fustian cutter. 

I’m hoping to trace more information about this James Dalton.  There are possible sightings of a Jas Dalton, in the Trade Directories of 1821 (a fustian cutter at Waller’s Buildings in Ancoats) and 1824 (a warehouseman at Kennedy St) but I don’t know if they’re the right James Dalton.  My guess is that James would have been born around 1770 to 1780 and married around the turn of the century.  The Lancashire Parish records suggest only two marriages with a James Dalton in this period, one at St Mary's Oldham in 1792 and the other at Prestwich in 1798, but again I don't know if either is James Dalton is my GGG Grandfather.

I’d like to know if anyone shares this James Dalton as an ancestor and has any information about whether there were other children of this family apart from my GG Grandfather John.