Author Topic: Ancestor Search for Ancestors of John Thomas Dalton Virgilina Virginia  (Read 1678 times)

mjsmith

Dear Dalton Family,
I am trying to locate the ancestors for my maternal grandfather John Thomas Dalton born on January 22, 1879 on a farm near Gretna, Virgina in Pittsylvania County. John Thomas Dalton later settled in Durham, North Carolina. He was an inventor and worked on the Bull Durham tobacco bag-tying machine and the design for the first tea bag machine for Sir. Thomas Lipton. His father was Thomas Mustein Dalton b.1838, and his father was Charles Patterson Dalton b.1807. I believe Charles' father was Thomas Dalton b. ~1778, from Pittsylvania County. From here back the trail is a little hard to follow. I believe Thomas' father was David Dalton born in Albemarle County around 1750 who married Judith. Then David's father was John Dalton also born in Albemarle in 1711 and married to Patience. I believe the family tree branches lead to his father as Timothy Dalton born in Albemarle in 1690 who married an Elizabeth. At this time there was a Timothy Senior whom I believe was John's father, and a Timothy Jr. Finally, I am trying to determine who Timothy Sr's father was. I believe it was William Dalton b. ~ 1666 in Yorkshire, England, who would be my seventh great grandfather and who was married to Margaret Newman Brochenbrough. So, I would like to know more about Timothy and William and,especially, how and when William came to America. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
« Last Edit: 16 July, 2018, 13:24 by mjsmith »