Author Topic: Daltons Carmarthen Hannah Lightfoot connections  (Read 3795 times)

welshbabe

Daltons Carmarthen Hannah Lightfoot connections
« on: 22 January, 2009, 06:10 »
I've been tracing the Dalton ancestors of a resident in our parish (Crunwere in Pembrokeshire) and am doing an article for a local history book.

St Peters Church Cramarthen on their website states:-
One of the king's daughters by Hannah, Sarah, married James Dalton of Carmarthen, a doctor and an officer of the East India Company. They had two daughters - Charlotte Augusta Catherine and Caroline (who was mother of Margaret Augusta).

However your sebiste has the following:-
It is, however, the daughter, Catherine Augusta, that is of interest to the people of Carmarthen.

Catherine Augusta married James Dalton, a doctor of medicine, in India on 20th October, 1801. It is understood that Catherine died in 1813 in Madras but not before she had borne him four children - two sons and two daughters.

It is said that Dr. James Dalton returned to Britain on the 16th September 1823. His two sons and Charlotte did not live very long after this. Charlotte died on 2 August 1832 aged 26 years and was buried in St. Peter's Church, Carmarthen.
Charlotte's sister, Caroline, had also settled in Carmarthen and married Daniel Prytherch. Prytherch was, it is understood, distantly related to her, there having been a marriage between the Daltons and Prytherchs prior to this. They had 13 children* - four sons and nine daughters. It was their third child, Margaret Augusta Dalton (Dalton being her Christian name) who was buried with her aunt in the tomb at St. Peter's Church. Margaret had died as a child of eight years.

I am sure you have the correct information but not being a 'Dalton' myself and completly immersed in the families details I am now getting completly confused??
Any ideas?

welshbabe

Re: Daltons Carmarthen Hannah Lightfoot connections
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2009, 15:02 »
Have had a reply now from the webmaster of St Peter's site:-

Where 'Sarah' has appeared from on my website, I don't know - it should have read 'Catherine Augusta' - which it now does.

So that solves that problem!

Rod Dalton

« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2009, 11:50 »
Further information about this subject;

James Dalton married Sarah Catherine Augustus Ritso. They had 2 daughters & two sons, Charlotte Augustus Catherine, Caroline Georgiana Catherine, Henry Augustus and Hawkins Augustus.

Now the clue to this Sarah Catherine Augustus & the naming patterns of all 4 children that have the same name of Augustus must tell us something of the truth of Sarah being a daughter of King George III, or as he was know then as George, Prince of Wales. King George’s mother being Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha & he named his son, Edward Augustus. In this era of Royal names, there was a lots of Augustus/Augusta.

Thanks
Rodney Dalton

welshbabe

« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2009, 06:15 »
Rod - just the person I wanted to get in touch with!

Yrs ago I cantacted you about the Dalton connection with our little village of Llanteg in South Wales.

I now want to put the article in a book on the village - can you get in touch with me on ruthroberts123@aol.com so that I can forward the article for you to see?