Author Topic: Death/burial John D'alton, Victoria  (Read 4096 times)

merylwatson

Death/burial John D'alton, Victoria
« on: 26 February, 2009, 02:15 »
I have been unable to find when/where my gt-gt-grandfather John D'alton died.  He was born c.1816 (could be later) to Robert and Mary D'Alton of Meopham, Kent, UK.  On 23 Oct 1843 he married Frances Bennett at Gravesend.  Five children were known to be born between 1845-1855, two of whom died at Gravesend in 1856.  The family migrated to Australia on the "Norfolk" in 1858.  Frances died in 1859 in Melbourne, and John married Marion Howells in 1861.  Seven more children were born; one died in infancy in 1875 at Williamstown (Vic), and a son was accidentally killed in 1878 at Romsey (Vic).  Nothing more is known of John D'alton but it is assumed that he was still alive when Marion Howells D'alton took her children to Tasmania around 1878 and changed all their surnames to Howell. In 1890 she remarried in Hobart, declaring her status as widow.  Details of John D'alton's death have not been found, but it is assumed he died in the period 1878-1890.  The children of his first marriage all lived in Victoria and it would be reasonable to suppose that he lived with one of them in his latter years.  There is a grave at Dunolly for a John Dalton who died in 1888 but I have been unable to obtain any further information. Can anybody help me? Many thanks!