Author Topic: Dalton /Alton  (Read 3140 times)

lily white

Dalton /Alton
« on: 09 October, 2009, 16:50 »
Hi maybe some one in Tipperary or Waterford can point me in the right direction.  My greatgrandfather Mathew Dalton born in waterford his dad Henry from Dublin His Daughter Bridget from Tipperary Born 1889 Bird Hill but surname is now Alton. Mathew was married to a lady from Antrim , and he also had a brother John any help in unraveling this appreciated.
Regards

kilmoyley

Re: Dalton /Alton
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2009, 15:06 »
Regarding the above query, there is a Mary Dalton born to Matthew Dalton & Catherine Byrne at Waterford City (Yellow Road )10/7/1859.  Is this relevant ? Can't say that I have ever heard Dalton changing to Alton but then there is always exceptions. I cannot find any Birdhill, Tipp connection though.The prename Matthew is not that common in the Irish Daltons. regards C.

lily white

« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2009, 18:29 »
thanks for your input I will follow it up.
I have Bridget  now Alton born in Bird Hill Newport 1888, but can not trace her again till 1911 census no other records available.
her dad Mathew Dalton is Down as being from Waterford he is still a Dalton on his marraige cert then his children are Altons, as is he and his brother John  1911 census.

strange

regards and again thanks for your help

lily white

« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2009, 16:48 »
Matthew dalton was married in Antrim 1881 His father Henry dalton is listed as being from Dublin and his occupation Porter. Matthew and his brother  John are listed as  born in waterford they lived in Tipperary for a time and a daughter  Bridgid / bridget  was born to Matthew and then they rise in 1911 census Dublin where did Bridget go after 1911 or John