Author Topic: Birth/marriage/death-Charles William Dalton-Australia  (Read 4453 times)

K Brown

Birth/marriage/death-Charles William Dalton-Australia
« on: 21 November, 2009, 17:11 »
Trying to track down info re great grandparents Charles William Dalton & Mary Ethel (nee Strong).
My grandfather - Charles Ernest Dalton - came to New Zealand in the 1920s. As per his marriage certificate he was born in 1900 in Sydney and his parents were Charles William & Mary Ethel.  His father was a butcher and it is believed that he owned a few butcher shops. A part from that, that is all of the information that I know. Rumour has it that my grandfather inherited a large some of money and blew it and was therefore disowned by his family.  He always stated that he was an only child but apparently he did have a sister, assume her family is still in Australia. We also think that Dalton was originaly D'Alton.
If any one can assist me I would very much appreciate it, as I seem to have come to a dead end.

michellelaws50

Re: Birth/marriage/death-Charles William Dalton-Australia
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2010, 21:53 »
Hi there,

I have just seen your post and am pleased to see you are searching for information on the very same people I am!

I would have to check my notes again, but I am also the great grandchild of Charles and Ethel Dalton.  I've been looking into the history as well, and get stuck at this point. I hadn't heard about the inheritance, but we always thought there was something 'suspicious' that resulted in the name being changed from D'Alton, to Dalton.

Fyi, my family are now living in Wellington, New Zealand (apart from me, I am in Australia).  My grandads name is Lionel Dalton.  Unfortunately he died a number of years ago, so we don't have much information to work with. 

Where exactly do you fit in?

I look forward to hearing from you about this....and I know my family will be too.

Michelle.