Author Topic: Annie Chandler Dalton  (Read 2206 times)

Teresa

Annie Chandler Dalton
« on: 20 December, 2009, 19:46 »
Hi!  I'm searching for my great-aunt, Annie Chandler.  The family story is that she married an American sailor she met in Scotland (I have a picture of them) who's last name was Dalton.  They would have met and married during the 1920's/1930's.

To my knowledge, they had no children.  Annie was in New York (the city I believe) awaiting passage aboard a ship to who knows where when she died.  I don't have an exact date of death, but I suspect that it was during the 1930's.

Annie was born in Sussex County, Delaware in 1897.  Her mother died in 1917 and she left home fairly soon afterward.  It is known that she did stop off in Wilmington, Delaware on her travels.  It is not known where she got the money to travel, especially to Scotland.  Per the few family members alive that remember her, she was quite the character.

Does anyone have a Dalton who served in the US Navy in the 20's/30's that picked up a bride overseas?

This lady has been a great puzzle to me and I would LOVE to find whatever information I can about her.  Especially a marriage date and place and a date of death.

Thank you.

Karen Dalton Preston

• Administrator
Re: Annie Chandler Dalton
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2009, 01:08 »
Hi,

Do you know where Annie was married?  Or approximately when?

I checked a database of New York City deaths, but all of the Annie Daltons listed who died in the 1930's were too old to be a likely match.

--Karen

Teresa

Re: Annie Chandler Dalton
« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2010, 11:05 »
Annie Chandler is reported to have married during the 1920's or 30's-quite possibly in Scotland.

She is a woman of mystery to be sure!

My understanding was that she was "in New York waiting for a ship" when she took ill and died.  Mind you, this is perhaps thrd hand information.  One of her eight brothers received a death notice/obituary but I do not know if that was kept by the family or tossed in the trash.  I'll have to check on that.

That is all the information I have at this time.  I shall try to upload the sole photograph I have of Annie and her spouse, although  warn you that the photo is creased and mutilated.

Thank you,
Teresa A. Derrickson