Author Topic: Parents of Isaac Dalton  (Read 2504 times)

Tilstra

Parents of Isaac Dalton
« on: 01 March, 2010, 20:54 »
I am trying to determine the parentage of Isaac Dalton who was born 21 Oct 1813 in Pennsylvania and died 17 Jan 1878 in Del Rey, Iroquois County, Illinois.  He married Eliza Miller on 4 Jul 1832 supposedly in Susequehanna County, PA.  Eliza Miller was born 11 Apr 1815 in Pennsylvania and died 17 Feb 1898.  Eliza still owned property in Del Rey at the time of her death but I don't believe she was living there at the time.  Both Isaac and his wife are buried in the Lehigh Cemetery (aka Del Rey Cemetery) in Iroquois County, Illinois.  I know that Isaac served with Company D of the 113th Illinois Infantry in the Civil War.  He entered the service on 28 Jan 1864 and is listed as a deserter as of 18 Nov 1864.  I have found a source showing that an Eliza Dalton from Del Rey, Iroquois County was collecting a Civil War pension in 1880 and I also know that there is a GAR Marker on Isaac's grave which suggests to me that the deserter status was somehow incorrect or later resolved.   Isaac and Eliza Miller Dalton are my 4 gr grandparents through their daughter Eveline Dalton Libhart Lyon.  Is anyone else researching this particular line?

Melanie

Re: Parents of Isaac Dalton
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2010, 12:11 »
Hello Tistra,
I didn't have any help for you in my computer files, but I checked census records in Iroquois County IL and thought the 1860 census was somewhat helpful.  First, both 1860 and 1870 Census records for Isaac say that he was born in New York state, which provides a bit of consistency but is different from what you have.  The 1860 census (Roll 186, p. 124) lists places of birth for Isaac and his family.  You can track his migration with that 1860 census record:  Isaac b. NY, Eliza (Miller) b. PA, James b. 1845 OH, Loretta and Mary R., ages 10 and 6, born NY.  In 1870 (Roll 231, p. 438), Isaac is not listed in the index but his wife Eliza is.  The two of them and their now-16 year old daughter Mary are living with another family who is headed by David Northop, also born NY.  The Northop family might lead you to more information about Isaac;  at least, it is worth a try.
    ~ Melanie