Author Topic: DALTON family - London & Merton, Surrey  (Read 2501 times)

nelliesgirl

DALTON family - London & Merton, Surrey
« on: 31 July, 2009, 01:58 »
Researching my mother's family.

I have found that Edward DALTON and his sister Alicia were boarders at the Royal Military Asylum in Chelsea around 1818 and that their parents were Miles DALTON (5th Dragoon guards) and Catherine. Keen to find out more about Miles & Catharine.

My Gt Gt G/parents were Edward & Sarah DALTON nee BANKS who married at Putney in 1826. They were both schoolteachers.

I have plenty on the DALTON family from 1841 onwards at Merton,Surrey and quite a bit on Sarah's background but draw a blank with Edward's birth and ancestors as he died in 1838 when he was 32. Their son William Whybrants DALTON was born at Marylebone in 1830, and his son also William born at Fish Street Hill in the City of London in 1853.

Regards
Shirley
Perth Western Australia
« Last Edit: 15 August, 2010, 02:05 by nelliesgirl »

David Preston

• Administrator
    • Dalton Databank
Re: DALTON family - London & Merton, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2009, 02:12 »
Hello:

I used the "global Search" feature on the Dalton Databank (http://wwwdaltondatabank.org) and found this information from Volume 36, June 2002 Journal:

M.N.Q.36.6   Dalton Ancestors of James Gwilliam.
James’s g-g-g-g-grandparents were Edward Dalton, a schoolteacher and his wife Sarah. They had two sons, Edward born 1828 who died before 1841, and William Whybrants Dalton born in 1831 in Marylebone. William was a silk printer, married to Charlotte, and they had twelve children, starting with William Dalton born 1853, in the City of London, and finishing with Ellen, born 1873 at Merton. In the 1881 census, William senior is a widower. His son William had three children by Catherine Chessire, before he married her in 1892. The second of these was Charles Edward Chessire, born 1888. He married and had four children. The youngest of these was Alexandra Rosetta Dalton. She married James Arthur Gwilliam in 1937. These are the parents of James.

NB: M.N.Q =Miscellaneous Notes and Queries

Hope this information is of use.

David